There was high fashion, there was last second drama, there was Gary from Chicago, there was candy falling from the rafter, and the show ran more than 4 hours.
And while all of that became fodder for hot takes and editorials in the days after the 2017 Oscars, we have to remember the show is about … movies.
Being a father of 2 young boys, I’m not up to speed on the latest and greatest in cinema, so I pay attention during awards season to get some insight into movies I need to add to my bucket list.
This year, I came away really wanting to take my boys to see Hidden Figures, I’d love my wife and I to settle in with Moonlight, Arrival, and Lion.
Catching up on Oscar winners (and nominees) is easier than ever with the On Demand button on TELUS Optik.
Here’s what you can catch On Demand right now:
Winner: Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay (Nominated for 5 additional Oscars: Supporting Actress, Director, Cinematography, Film Editing, Original Score)
· A young man deals with his dysfunctional home life and comes of age in Miami during the ‘War on Drugs’ era. The story of his struggle to find himself is told across three defining chapters in his life as he experiences the ecstasy, pain, and beauty of falling in love while grappling with his own sexuality.
MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
Winner: Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay (Nominated for 4 additional Oscars: Best Picture, Supporting Actor, Actress in a Supporting Role, Director)
· After the death of his older brother Joe, Lee Chandler is shocked that Joe has made him sole guardian of his teenage nephew Patrick. Taking leave of his job as a janitor in Boston, Lee reluctantly returns to Manchester-by-the-Sea, the fishing village where his working-class family has lived for generations. There, he is forced to deal with a past that separated him from his wife, Randi, and the community where he was born and raised.<
Winner: Film Editing, Sound Mixing (Nominated for 4 additional Oscars: Best Picture, Actor, Director, Sound Editing)
· Based on the true story of WWII American Army Medic Desmond T. Doss, who served during the Battle of Okinawa, but refused to kill, and became the first man in American history to win the Medal of Honor without firing a shot.
Winner: Best Achievement in Sound Editing (Nominated for 7 additional Oscars: Best Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Film Editing, Sound Mixing, Production Design)
· When mysterious spacecrafts land across the globe, expert codebreaker Louise Banks is sent to investigate. With mankind on the verge of global war, Banks races against time for answers, but to find them she will take a chance that could threaten humanity.
Winner: Best Animated Feature
· In a city of anthropomorphic animals, a rookie bunny cop and a cynical con artist fox must work together to uncover a conspiracy.
THE JUNGLE BOOK
Winner: Best Visual Effects
· Mowgli, a man-cub raised in the jungle by a family of wolves, embarks on a captivating journey of self-discovery when he’s forced to abandon the only home he’s ever known.
That should be enough of a start to have some cozy couch time as a couple and work through the fims. Keep watching the On Demand section for Hidden Figures, Lion, and La La Land to come to TELUS Optik.
This post is sponsored by TELUS . I’m a brand ambassador on #TeamTELUS.
The Optik TV GO app, available for free download on your smartphone and tablet, allows you to watch the shows and movies you want anytime and anywhere!
It also allows you to remotely manage your PVR recordings – so if you’re stuck in traffic or at work and your favourite TV show is starting, you can PVR it from your phone and pick up once you get home!
TELUS is currently the ONLY carrier in Western Canada to offer 4K programming
Optik TV is available in British Columbia, Alberta and Eastern Quebec
For more information on Optik TV, visit: http://www.telus.com/
Dad. Broadcaster. Writer.
Three time Guinness World Record Holder.
I run the world for Team Diabetes.