[twitter]Christmas can be hectic so having make ahead meals ready to be heated up is the way to go. That’s why the weekend before Christmas I spend all day Sunday making cabbage rolls, borscht, toutiere, and other treats for our Christmas dinner feast. (Oh, and they taste better a couple of days later).
Christmas breakfast this year got the same treatment when Jen discovered this extra yummy Baked French Toast recipe. Make it the night before, let it soak in the fridge overnight, and all you need to do is bake it up in the morning. Delicious!
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 cup brown sugar
1 loaf of thickly sliced bread
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
Cinnamon for sprinkling
1. Melt butter in microwave, add brown sugar and then stir until mixed.
2. Pour butter/sugar mix into bottom of 9 x 13 pan and then spread around.
3. Beat eggs, milk, and vanilla
4. Lay single slices of bread in pan
5. Spoon 1/2 of egg mixture on bread layer
6. Sprinkle some cinnamon over bread/eggs
7. Add 2nd layer of sliced bread
8. Spoon on remaining egg mixture
9. Cover and chill in fridge overnight
10. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (covered for the first 30 minutes)
11. Sprinkle with powdered sugar & cinnamon
12. Serve with warm maple syrup
OMG. So good.